Thursday, June 10, 2010

Interviewing

Yes, as just the temp, you are still entitled to get out there and interview for other jobs. Just know that you really should not put your current employer that you are temping for as a reference. I'm not talking about the agency you work for, but the actual employer (or workplace you are working at).

Yeah..I had to learn that the hard way.

Yes, go to other agencies too, but if you've been temping for a really long time (like myself, ahem) you can tell this agency, "Look, I really would like a full time position and not looking to be a contractor any longer." Or something like, "I would prefer to transition to a full time position." 'Nuff said.

Yes, less is more.

Oh yes, re-do your resume, but make sure you keep track of the software you use...yeah...I forget what I used back in 2005 and come to think of it, I probably can use that in my current set of skills in mine.

Keep your agency informed that you are interviewing though, and of course let your manager (direct) at the place you are working for at least a week in advance (if at all possible).

Don't be too blatantly obvious though when it comes to looking for a job at work while temping. Some companies have strict policies, while others do not, but don't take your chances if you just started temping for a company.

Good luck, and let me know how you get your next job!

Yours,
Just the Temp

No comments:

Post a Comment